ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview

Otangelo Grasso: This is my library, where I collect information and present arguments developed by myself that lead, in my view, to the Christian faith, creationism, and Intelligent Design as the best explanation for the origin of the physical world.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Xchange with Rebecca

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Xchange with Rebecca Empty Xchange with Rebecca Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:17 pm

Otangelo

Admin

Question/Claim (Q): I want to start off by stating, I'm not sure exactly how God would be needed in a worldview to begin with. What purpose does having that concept serve?
Reply (R): Our existence raises some fundamental questions. Like: 

1. The existence of the universe. The universe had a beginning. What was the cause? 
2. The universe obeys the laws and rules of mathematics and physics. What does its implementation depend on? 
3. The physical universe and the laws of physics are interdependent and irreducible. There would not be one without the other. How was that instantiated?
4. Fine-Tuning: The Laws of physics,  physical constants, the initial conditions of the universe, the Big Bang, the subatomic particles, atoms, Carbon nucleosynthesis, the basis of all life on earth, the Milky Way, our Galaxy, the Solar System, the sun, the earth,  the moon, water, the electromagnetic spectrum, and biochemistry are fine-tuned to permit life. Over 100 constants must be just right. How do you explain that?
5. Formation of life. How did life start, if abiogenesis research has failed, and never been able to demonstrate to be possible despite over half a century of intensive scientific research?
6. Cells ARE literally factories. Biological cells ARE an industrial park of millions of interconnected complex factories, full of machines. How do you explain their origin?
7. A minimal free-living Cell requires 1350 proteins with an average size of 400 amino acids. That requires selecting 1 out of 10^722.000! How do you have such enormous faith in lucky accidents?
8. Irreducible complexity. Biological cells require a minimal number of parts, which have no use by themselves, and would never accumulate on the prebiotic earth. Evidence rather shows that molecules randomize and devolve into asphalts.
9. The appearance of design. The universe and biological systems appear designed. Therefore, most probably, they are designed. If not, why not?
10. Codified Information. DNA has the highest storage density known, and stores the blueprint of life. Blueprints can always be traced back to intelligence. If now, what is your alternative explanation, and do you have evidence?
11. The Fossil Record. The Fossil record, and in special the Cambrian explosion, demonstrates the sudden appearance of lifeforms, without intermediates. How can evolution therefore still be true?
12. Consciousness and language. Conscience, mental reality, language, logic, free will, moral values, are immaterial entities, and cannot emerge from physical matter. Or can they? And if so, how do you know? 
13. Objective moral values exist. They are "ought to be"s, imprinted in our conscience. How comes? 
14. Human objective logic depends and can only derive from a pre-existing necessary first mind with objective logic. Prove me wrong. 

125 reasons to believe in God
https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com/t1276-125-reasons-to-believe-in-god

These questions are either best explained by an intelligent, powerful, eternal creator, or not. 

Comparing worldviews - there are basically just two
https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com/t2793-worldviews-there-are-basically-just-two-in-regards-of-origins

How to recognize the signature of (past) intelligent action
https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com/t2805-how-to-recognize-the-signature-of-past-intelligent-action

(Q): Within my own worldview, I can say that I still have values that have been attributed to religion, but without the baggage of damaging texts that get between me and those very important values. These values are things such as love, kindness, empathy, compassion. I understand that religion claims to hold these values, but the texts they are using do not seem to hold those values at all times and I think actually impede the implementation of those values successfully within human culture.
(R): 

What good has the Christian faith brought to us
https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com/t1452-what-good-has-the-christian-faith-brought-to-us

Why do positive, active, strong militant atheists or weak atheists/agnostics promote their views with such fervor and time spent?
https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com/t2379-why-do-postive-active-strong-militant-atheists-promote-naturalism-with-such-fervor-and-time-spending

Jeffrey Dahmer: If a person doesn’t think there is a God to be accountable to, then—then what's the point of trying to modify your behavior to keep it within acceptable ranges?,”  "That's how I thought anyway. I always believed the theory of evolution as truth, that we all just came from the slime. When we, when we died, you know, that was it, there is nothing.”

(Q): If I look at what is causing more harm, is it the value of love, or is it people telling two humans who love each other that they can't get married, or that their love is lesser than, or that they do not value their love? I can understand taking the religion and trying to separate it from the way people use it politically, but the problem comes from faulty texts that muddle the ability to process the human being next to you as a person with value, who is doing their best, even if that best doesn't look very good at the time. My personal worldview allows space for not only the concepts to exist independently of doctrine that holds it back, it additionally allows me to interpret the meaning of those words from moment to moment without being held back by trying to see if the person next to me is passing any particular test for being shown these values. At this point, I have started to view religions and religious texts as nothing more than language that was developed to try to navigate society as best as was possible, and citing the insight of others that said important things at the time.Let's say, for example, that "Jesus" (I'm putting it in quotes because this is not real Jesus; this is make-believe Jesus) was here right now. What would he say now? It would necessarily be different than what the Jesus of the bible was talking about because the culture is not the same.
(R): Leviticus 19.18 Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself.
Matthew 22:39 “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

Jesus would still say the same. The foremost command did not change in the Old, and the New Testament. 

(Q): In regard to your second question, how do I explain our existence without a creator, this is how I think things have gone. Atoms exist. It is not possible for me to state how, but the teleological argument that there was a beginning is not satisfactory for me because I do not know what came before. 
(R): I think inference to the best explanation is enough. 

Aquinas showed us that the attributes of a true God are logically deduced. Properties of the first cause:

1. Supernatural in nature, (As it exists outside and beyond of the natural physical universe),
2. Uncaused, beginningless, and eternal (self-existent, as it exists without a cause, outside of time and space, besides the fact that infinite regress of causes is impossible. ),
3. Omnipresent & all-knowing (It created space and is not limited by it),
4. Changeless ( Change depends on physical being )
5. Timeless  ( Without physical events, there can be no time, and time began with the Big Bang  )
6. Immaterial (Because He transcends space and created matter),
7. Spaceless ( Since it created space)
8. Personal (The impersonal can’t create personality, and only a personal, free agent can cause a change from a changeless state )
9. Enormously Powerful ( Since it brought the entire universe, space-time and matter into existence )
10. Necessary (As everything else depends on it),
11. Absolutely independent and self-existent ( It does not depend on a higher causal agency to exist otherwise there would be infinite regress which is impossible )
12. Infinite and singular (As you cannot have two infinities),  
13. Diverse yet has unity (As all multiplicity implies a prior singularity),  
14. Intelligent (Supremely, to create everything, in special language, complexity, factories and machines),  
15. Purposeful (As it deliberately created everything with goals in mind),

An agent endowed with free will can have a determination in a timeless dimension to operate causally at a (first) moment of time and thereby to produce a temporally first effect

1. God is supernatural in nature Acts 17:24-25
2. God is uncaused, beginningless, and eternal  1 Timothy 1:17
3. God is omnipresent & all-knowing Psalm 139:7-12; Jeremiah 23:24
4. God is unchanging Malachi 3:6
5. God is immaterial (spirit) John 4:24
6. God is personal John 4:24, 1 Thessalonians 5:18, Isaiah 25:1,  Isaiah 63:7, Psalm 78:1, 1 Chronicles 16:8, Micah 4:12, Job 29:4, 2 Corinthians 13:14
7. God is enormously Powerful Genesis 17:1
8. God is timeless Revelation 1:8
9. God is necessary Genesis 1:1
10. God is omniscient ( All-knowing ) Psalm 147:4-5
11. God is absolutely independent and self-existent Isaiah 46:9
12. God is One, yet He exists in three persons Matthew 3:16-17
13. God is extraordinarily intelligent Jeremiah 32:17
14. God is all-understanding Psalm 147:5
15. God is purposeful

The Kalam leads to the God of the Bible
https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com/t2877-the-kalaam-leads-to-the-god-of-the-bible

(Q): It is also not possible for me to know if there were other universes, before this one, if the universe is expanding and contracting, where life was more probable than the universe we are currently in.
(R):  1. The theory of the Big bang is a scientific consensus today: According to Hawking, Einstein, Rees, Vilenkin, Penzias, Jastrow, Krauss, and 100’s other physicists, finite nature (time/space/matter) had a beginning. While we cannot go back further than Planck's time, what we do know, permits us to posit a beginning.

2. The 2nd law of thermodynamics refutes the possibility of an eternal universe. [size=12]Luke A. Barnes: [/size]The Second Law points to a beginning when, for the first time, the Universe was in a state where all energy was available for use; and an end in the future when no more energy will be available (referred to by scientists as a “heat death”, thus causing the Universe to “die.” In other words, the Universe is like a giant watch that has been wound up, but that now is winding down. The conclusion to be drawn from the scientific data is inescapable—the Universe is not eternal.

3. Philosophical reasons why the universe cannot be past eternal:  You cannot reach B from an infinite interval of time. It has to be finite starting from A. If we start counting from now, we can count infinitely. We can always add one discrete section of time to another. If we count backwards from now, the same. But in both cases, there is a starting point. That is what we try to avoid when we talk about an infinite past without a beginning. So how can you even count without an end, forwards, or backwards, if there is no starting point? A reference point to start counting is necessary to get somewhere, or you never get "there". 

The universe is not past eternal but had a beginning
https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com/t1333-kalaam-the-cosmological-argument-for-gods-existence#5124

The universe had a beginning
https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com/t1297-beginning-the-universe-had-a-beginning

(Q): I think that could be a possibility though. I also think there could be universes that have existed, or even do currently exist, outside of this one or prior to this one using the same or even different materials that had no life for billions or trillions or more years. I can't know these things. I have no reason to know or not know them. They are just questions and thoughts that don't have answers, but are within the realm of possibility given what is known so far. I have no reason to assume that matter expanding and contracting infinitely is somehow governed by something with any intelligence or anything at all.
(R): Guth, A.H. and M. Sher:
The ability of the universe to oscillate is dependent upon a certain critical mass. This critical mass is required to slow the expansion of the universe and force a contraction. If this total mass is not present, which seems likely, then the universe will continue to expand into eternity. Even if there were enough mass to cause the universe, the result of that collapse would be a "Big Crunch" as opposed to another Big Bang. The reason that the universe would not "bounce" if it were to contract is that the universe is extremely inefficient (entropic). In fact, the universe is so inefficient that the bounce resulting from the collapse of the universe would be only 0.00000001% of the original Big Bang (see table above). Such a small "bounce" would result in an almost immediate re-collapse of the universe into one giant black hole for the rest of eternity.
1983. The impossibility of a bouncing universe. Nature 302: 505-506.

(Q): Because of all of this, the idea that there is some little pixie in a space between universes using pixie dust to create new universes for fun is just as plausible as any other explanation, and because of that, what it comes down to for me is, "where science ends, imagination begins."
(R): Pixies creating universes would still make more sense, than none, in my view. 

(Q):  If I were to imagine a universe being created without the pixie, god, or any other being, it would come down to nothing more than an infinite amount of energy. Energy, as far as I understand it, has no properties that assert intelligence.
(R): Mithani, Vilenkin Did the universe have a beginning? 20 Apr 2012
There are three popular scenarios: eternal inflation, a cyclic universe, and an “emergent” universe that exists for eternity as a static seed before expanding. Here we shall argue that none of these scenarios can actually be past-eternal. Did the universe have a beginning? At this point, it seems that the answer to this question is probably yes.2 Here we have addressed three scenarios which seemed to offer a way to avoid a beginning, and have found that none of them can actually be eternal in the past. Both eternal inflation and cyclic universe scenarios have Hav > 0, which means that they must be past-geodesically incomplete. We have also examined a simple emergent universe model, and concluded that it cannot escape quantum collapse. Even considering more general emergent universe models, there do not seem to be any matter sources that admit solutions that are immune to collapse.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1204.4658.pdf

Energy was created at the Big bang
https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com/t3159-energy-was-created-at-the-big-bang

https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com

2Xchange with Rebecca Empty Re: Xchange with Rebecca Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:20 am

Otangelo

Admin

Question/Claim (Q): I want to start off by stating, I'm not sure exactly how God would be needed in a worldview to begin with. What purpose does having that concept serve?

Reply (R): Our existence only makes sense, and has purpose, if God exists.

Meaning and purpose of life
As a Christian, I believe that the meaning of life is to glorify God and to enjoy a personal relationship with Him. God is the Creator of the universe and everything in it, including us humans. He created us in His image and gave us the ability to know and love Him. Our purpose as humans is to seek Him, to know Him, and to serve Him in all aspects of our lives. Through a personal relationship with God, we can experience the fullness of life and find true joy and fulfillment. This relationship is made possible through faith in Jesus Christ, who is the only way to God. Jesus is the Son of God who came to Earth to die for our sins and rise again, so that we may have eternal life with Him. As Christians, we believe that our lives are not our own, but belong to God. We are called to use our talents, abilities, and resources to glorify Him and serve others. This includes loving our neighbors, caring for the poor and marginalized, and sharing the good news of Jesus Christ with others. In summary, the meaning of life from a Christian perspective is to know, love, and serve God, and to find joy and fulfillment in a personal relationship with Him through faith in Jesus Christ.
https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com/t1903-meaning-of-life

Question/Claim (Q): 1. The existence of the universe. The universe had a beginning. What was the cause? The evidence is currently pointing at electric fields. Please read about the Schwinger effect.
Schwinger effect - Wikipedia If I had to guess at the shape of things over time, it would not be that the universe is a single things or that this is the first and/or only. I have no way to determine that there was a beginning. I can only tell that the current way things look had a point at 13 billion where it started doing a thing. It would be like I was in the middle of an ice age and said, oh, there has always been ice. That is not an accurate assumption. I have no reason to assert that it can be known the universe had a beginning and I stated as such previously.

Reply (R): This is a similar answer as claiming that Virtual Particles created an inbalance, that gave rise to our universe. My follow-up question is:
What created the Quantum field in the case of Virtual particles, or the electric field that gave rise to the Schwinger effect? Since both are physical entities, and subject to change, they exist IN time.
But time must have had a beginning. So these things cannot exist beyond time. That rises philosophical problems, as pointed out previously.

WHY INFINITY DOES NOT EXIST IN REALITY
https://mindmatters.ai/2022/07/1-why-infinity-does-not-exist-in-reality/

Question/Claim (Q):  2. The universe obeys the laws and rules of mathematics and physics. What does its implementation depend on?

I don't know how many times the universe has been a universe and what the physics would have been, so I can't say that IT hink that the laws or rules of this universe can broadly apply when it doesn't look like the evidence supports that this is the only thing there is to know about existence. What are we expanding into?? I have no reason to call where it is going "nothing". Additionally, with the inability to prove that this thing doesn't expand and contract, I just can't make these kinds of claims...such as that the rules of math in the current moment necessarily have bearing on things infinitely or as long as whatever is going on has been going on.

Reply (R):   The question of what, if anything, exists beyond the observable universe remains an open and active area of scientific inquiry.  There are various cosmological hypotheses, but no definitive answers to what lies beyond the observable universe.

Paul Davies:
Orthodox physics is based on Platonism: the laws are treated as infinitely precise, perfect, immutable mathematical relationships that transcend the physical universe and remain totally unchanged by physical processes, however extreme. If instead the laws of physics are regarded as akin to computer software, with the physical universe as the corresponding hardware, then the finite computational capacity of the universe imposes a fundamental limit on the precision of the laws and the specifiability of physical states.
https://arxiv.org/ftp/quant-ph/papers/0703/0703041.pdf

For life to emerge in our Universe the fundamental constants could not have been more than a fraction of a percent from their actual values. The BIG question is: Why is that so?  These constants can’t be derived from other constants and have to be verified by experiment. Simply put: Science has no answer and does not know why they have the value that they have.  There is no physical restriction or necessity that entails that the parameter could only have the one that is actualized. There is no principle of physics that says physical laws or constants have to be the same everywhere and always. Since that is so, the question arises: What instantiated the life-permitting parameters? There are two possibilities: Luck, or a Lawgiver.

[The Lord God] is eternal and infinite, omnipotent and omniscient, that is, he endures from eternity to eternity, and he is present from infinity to infinity; he rules all things, and he knows all things that happen or can happen.
—Isaac Newton, General Scholium to the Principia (1726)

Question/Claim (Q): 3. The physical universe and the laws of physics are interdependent and irreducible. There would not be one without the other. How was that instantiated?
Again, I have to go back to the ice age comparison I previously mentioned. I have nothing that would tell me that this set of physical properties is more than a window looking at 13 billion years without the knowledge of outside of that 13 billion years, and I think it's really obvious there wasn't nothing before that. I don't have a reason to think there aren't other laws that have existed prior to that 13 billion, or laws that govern the outside of what has been expanding that long.

Reply (R):  Then the follow-up question would be, what instantiated these other laws, that eventually governed  a previous universe. The question is just pushed further back, but not answered.

Question/Claim (Q): 4. Fine-Tuning: The Laws of physics,  physical constants, the initial conditions of the universe, the Big Bang, the subatomic particles, atoms, Carbon nucleosynthesis, the basis of all life on earth, the Milky Way, our Galaxy, the Solar System, the sun, the earth,  the moon, water, the electromagnetic spectrum, and biochemistry are fine-tuned to permit life. Over 100 constants must be just right. How do you explain that? I may just skip the ones I've already addressed. Surely you can see how my previous responses relate to this.
Reply (R): Ok. Let me give you an argument then.   The number of possible fine-tune parameters and constants is infinite
1. The values, constants, and parameters for a life-permitting universe must exist within a finite range for the existence of biological life to be possible. 
2. These constants and fine-tune parameters could have taken any of an infinite number of different values. 
3. The probability of it occurring by chance approaches close to 0, but is in practical terms, factually zero. 
4. The best explanation is an intelligent agent that had a goal in mind, that is to create contingent beings, designed our life-permitting universe.

Question/Claim (Q): 5. Formation of life. How did life start, if abiogenesis research has failed, and never been able to demonstrate to be possible despite over half a century of intensive scientific research?
I have no reason to believe there isn't life elsewhere in the universe as it stands at this moment, nor reason to believe there haven't been other universes that didn't create particles that obtained an awareness of the space that it was in. Maybe there is more life in other universes that exist; I just can't assume that isn't true.

Reply (R):  I have good reasons to doubt that there is life, elsewhere, in our universe.

Life on other planets, a real possibility?
https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com/t232-life-on-other-planets-a-real-possibility

Brian C. Lacki: THE LOG LOG PRIOR FOR THE FREQUENCY OF EXTRATERRESTRIAL INTELLIGENCES September 21, 2016
This log log prior can handle a very wide range of PETI values, from 1 to 1010^122 while remaining responsive to evidence about extraterrestrial societies.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1609.05931.pdf

Richard Dawkins on scientific truth, outgrowing God and life beyond Earth
28 de ago. de 2019
It's not totally obvious that there have to be other living creatures around but if we are unique then what that means is that there's something very very very very special about the origin of life on this planet if we are the only one that's developed life then the origin of life would then have to be a quite stupendously improbable event so much so that we're wasting our time trying to understand it but I don't believe that as a matter of fact, I believe that there is probably quite a lot of life around the universe even if there's only say as few as a billion other life-forms and I stress that word few because a billion is a tiny tiny number compared to 10 to 22 if that were the case then the different life forms might be so widely spaced out that none of them ever encounters any of the others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKjiSu4zD5Y&t=6s

Question/Claim (Q): 6. Cells ARE literally factories. Biological cells ARE an industrial park of millions of interconnected complex factories, full of machines. How do you explain their origin?
Particles can do that in this universe with its set of constants at this present moment. That may not be true forever in this universe. There could also be life that doesn't go about it the way this planet has. Who knows. Carbon based is what happened in our little corner. I'm not sure what is happening in places we can't see.

Reply (R):   The Factory maker argument ( Paley's watchmaker 2.0)
1. We have empirical experience and background knowledge that intelligent agents can and do create information storage mechanisms ( hardware), codes and languages, and instructional assembly information ( data) using a codified language ( software) information transmission systems ( post-delivery services, worldwide web) translation software, transistors, complex machines, automated robotic production lines, integrated circuit boards, energy turbines, and factories. Intelligence can conceptualize and create and design these things from scratch, select the building materials, create data that directs the making and joining of physical parts together in the right way, ( blueprints to create robots) and fine-tune them, to achieve a functional outcome.
2. We have no theoretical, conceptual, practical, or hypothesized and scientifically tested experimental evidence that unguided, nonintelligent, random causes and mechanisms can create and fabricate these things stochastically, or be instantiated by physical necessity and constraints.
3. All the mentioned things in premise 1 exist analogously to man-made artifacts in nature, not only in an analogous manner but literally so. Cells are in a literal sense chemical factories, driven by molecular machines (proteins), directed by data stored in the genome ( the nucleotide sequence), epigenetic data systems, and driven by energy (ATP).
4. Therefore, it is rational, logical, and plausible, to infer and prefer the conclusion that an intelligent agent with foresight created biological embodied life, rather than random events.
https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com/t2245-abiogenesis-the-factory-maker-argument

Question/Claim (Q): 7. A minimal free-living Cell requires 1350 proteins with an average size of 400 amino acids. That requires selecting 1 out of 10^722.000! How do you have such enormous faith in lucky accidents? That's how chaos works. There is no shortage of large numbers in chaos, much larger than the one you listed.

Reply (R): An enormous amount of empirical data have established, as a rule, that organic systems, given energy and left to themselves, devolve to give uselessly complex mixtures, “asphalts”. The literature reports (to our knowledge) ZERO CONFIRMED OBSERVATIONS where  evolution emerged spontaneously from a devolving chemical system. It is impossible for any non-living chemical system to escape devolution to enter into the Darwinian world of the “living”. 
https://sci-hub.ren/10.1007/s11084-014-9379-0

https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum