ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview

Otangelo Grasso: This is my library, where I collect information and present arguments developed by myself that lead, in my view, to the Christian faith, creationism, and Intelligent Design as the best explanation for the origin of the physical world.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How did God create the physical world?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How did God create the physical world?  Empty How did God create the physical world? Tue Sep 17, 2024 2:24 am

Otangelo

Admin

How did God create the physical world?

1. The limits of scientific explanation:
We don't fully understand the mind-body interface or consciousness, yet we know it works. This highlights that our inability to explain a mechanism doesn't negate its reality. Science often progresses by observing effects before fully understanding causes.

2. The problem of infinite regress:
Demanding an explanation for every explanation can lead to an infinite regress. This is a well-known philosophical problem. At some point, we must accept certain fundamental principles or brute facts to avoid this endless chain of "why" questions.

3. Explanation vs. mechanism:
There's a distinction between explaining that something exists or happens, and detailing the precise mechanism of how it occurs. We can have strong evidence for a phenomenon without understanding its exact workings.

4. Analogous situations in science:
Many scientific theories were accepted based on their explanatory power and predictive ability before their mechanisms were fully understood. For example, gravity was described mathematically by Newton long before Einstein's theory of general relativity provided a mechanism.

5. The limits of human understanding:
It's possible that some aspects of reality, especially when dealing with the origins of the universe or fundamental forces, may be beyond our current cognitive capabilities to fully comprehend.

6. Inference to the best explanation:
In philosophy of science, this is a method of reasoning that considers competing explanations and selects the one that best explains the observed evidence. This doesn't require a complete mechanistic understanding.

7. The nature of design inferences:
Design inferences in various fields (archaeology, SETI, forensics) don't necessarily require an explanation of the designer's methods, just evidence of design itself.

8. Epistemological humility:
Recognizing the limits of our knowledge can be a strength in argumentation. It's intellectually honest to admit what we don't know while still making reasoned inferences based on available evidence.

https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum