ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview

Otangelo Grasso: This is my library, where I collect information and present arguments developed by myself that lead, in my view, to the Christian faith, creationism, and Intelligent Design as the best explanation for the origin of the physical world.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why the “I Just Believe in One Less God than You” Argument Does not Work

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Otangelo

Admin

Why the “I Just Believe in One Less God than You” Argument Does not Work

https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com/t2753-why-the-i-just-believe-in-one-less-god-than-you-argument-does-not-work

Argument: “I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one less god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” Another way to phrase it: “I don’t have to take the time to reject Christ any more than you have to take the time to reject all the millions of gods that are out there. It just happens by default. The justification for my atheism is the same as yours with respect to your rejection of all the other possible gods.” And another: "I don’t believe in Yahweh. I don’t believe in Hercules either."
Response:  The fact that man has created religions and gods doesn't permit the conclusion that therefore all Gods are imaginary.
Christianity believes in only one God (monotheism) out of theological and philosophical necessity. We believe that God created all things out of nothing. We believe that existence necessitates a “first cause” or an “unmoved mover.”

Christians believe as the apostle Paul said in Romans:  all men have knowledge of God, at least of the Creator, through his creation. But man in his fallen state creates false Gods, idols, and they begin to get God wrong; they have distorted views of God. But they do not have NO vision of God. We believe that they believe wrong things about the Creator. That is very different from saying that we are atheists in relation to other people's pre-Christian ideas of the one supreme God.

That wisecrack about how atheists merely believe in one less god than theists do, though it makes a funny line in a Tim Minchin song, is just a category error. Monotheism's God isn't like one of the Greek gods, except that he happens to have no god friends. It's an utterly different kind of concept.

… according to the classical metaphysical traditions of both the East and West, God is the unconditioned cause of reality – of absolutely everything that is – from the beginning to the end of time. Understood in this way, one can’t even say that God "exists" in the sense that my car or Mount Everest or electrons exist. God is what grounds the existence of every contingent thing, making it possible, sustaining it through time, unifying it, giving it actuality. God is the condition of the possibility of anything existing at all.

The question isn't a scientific one, about which things exist. It's a philosophical one, about what existence is and on what it depends. 1

1. Contingent or non-necessary beings depend on an external cause that made them come into existence - the physical universe – is also contingent.
2. Since that external cause has to be outside the whole aggregate of contingent things, it cannot itself be contingent. So it is necessary.
3. Hey presto, we’ve demonstrated that there is a necessarily existent, uncreated, non-contingent being which causes all other things! And this, of course, is God.

This first or necessary cause/being is by definition God. Simply put, whoever started it all (the time, space, matter creation) is the only true God.  The God of the Bible cannot be compared to the pantheon of gods of polytheistic religions. It is like comparing apples to bananas. A further consequence of this argument is, that if all Causal agencies of our universe are removed, absolutely nothing remains. One attempt is to replace a cause of the universe by stating that the Universe eventually existed without beginning, eternally.

The scientific objection to that is the 2nd law of thermodynamics or the law of entropy. In a closed universe, the finite amount of energy is winding down, moving towards a time when all energy will be expended. The universe with its limited amount of energy is going to wind down to where there is no energy left.

The philosophical reason is that we can never get to an infinite period of time in the future by adding individual events together. But today, this point of time in the present is a point of time future to all past. We are future to yesterday, and the day before that. It is not possible that the Universe has existed forever. This point in time is the future with reference to all of the past.  You cannot say that any particular point in the future will accomplish an actual infinite as events are added one to another.  Therefore, this present moment in time can't represent an actual infinite number of events added one to another proceeding from the past.  Time has proceeded forward from the past as one event is added onto another to get us to today.  But we know that whenever you pause in the count as we've done today, that you can't have an infinite number of events.  Which means that there is not an infinite number of events that goes backwards from this point in time.  Only a finite number of events.  Which means the universe is not eternal but had a beginning. Since everything that begins to exist has a cause, the Universe had a cause. Only the God of the Bible is described with the following characteristics:

Exists outside of His creation, created the physical universe, is eternal, self-existent, exists outside of time and space,  is Omnipresent - he created space and is not limited by it, is timeless and changeless - he created time, immaterial - because He transcends space, conscious, intelligent, and personal - the impersonal can’t create personality, necessary - as everything else depends on Him, infinite and singular - as you cannot have two infinities, purposeful - as He deliberately created everything, moral - no moral law can exist without a lawgiver, caring - or no moral laws would have been given.

Why the “I Just Believe in One Less God than You” Argument Does not Work FXa7Bwl

1. https://www.theguardian.com/news/oliver-burkeman-s-blog/2014/jan/14/the-theology-book-atheists-should-read

Last edited by Otangelo on Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:07 am; edited 2 times in total

https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com

Otangelo

Admin

Por que o argumento "Eu apenas acredito em um deus a menos do que você" não funciona

Argumento: “Eu afirmo que nós dois somos ateus, eu apenas acredito em um deus a menos do que você. Quando você entender por que rejeita todos os outros deuses possíveis, entenderá por que rejeito o seu. " Outra forma de expressar isso: "Eu não tenho que perder tempo rejeitando a Cristo mais do que você tem que perder tempo rejeitando todos os milhões de deuses que estão lá fora. Isso apenas acontece por padrão. A justificativa para o meu ateísmo é a mesma que a sua com relação à sua rejeição de todos os outros deuses possíveis. ” E outro: "Eu não acredito em Yahweh. Eu também não acredito em Hércules."
Resposta: O Cristianismo acredita em apenas um Deus (monoteísmo) por necessidade teológica e filosófica. Acreditamos que Deus criou todas as coisas do nada. Acreditamos que a existência exige uma "causa primeira" ou um "motor imóvel".

Os cristãos acreditam como o apóstolo Paulo disse em Romanos: todos os homens têm conhecimento de Deus, pelo menos do Criador, por meio de sua criação. Mas o homem em seu estado caído cria falsos deuses, ídolos, e eles começam a interpretar Deus errado; eles têm visões distorcidas de Deus. Mas eles não têm NENHUMA visão de Deus. Acreditamos que eles acreditam em coisas erradas sobre o Criador. Isso é muito diferente de dizer que somos ateus em relação às idéias pré-cristãs de outras pessoas sobre o único Deus supremo.

Aquela piada sobre como os ateus simplesmente acreditam em um deus a menos do que os teístas, embora faça uma frase engraçada em uma canção de Tim Minchin, é apenas um erro de categoria. O Deus do monoteísmo não é como um dos deuses gregos, exceto que ele não tem amigos deuses. É um tipo de conceito totalmente diferente.

… De acordo com as tradições metafísicas clássicas do Oriente e do Ocidente, Deus é a causa incondicionada da realidade - de absolutamente tudo que existe - do início ao fim dos tempos. Compreendido dessa forma, não se pode nem mesmo dizer que Deus "existe" no sentido de que meu carro ou Monte Everest ou elétrons existem. Deus é o que fundamenta a existência de toda coisa contingente, tornando-a possível, sustentando-a no tempo, unificando-a, dando-lhe atualidade. Deus é a condição da possibilidade de qualquer coisa existir.

A questão não é científica, sobre quais coisas existem. É filosófico, sobre o que é a existência e do que depende. 1

1. Seres contingentes ou não necessários dependem de uma causa externa que os fez existir - o universo físico - também é contingente.
2. Visto que essa causa externa tem que estar fora de todo o agregado de coisas contingentes, ela não pode ser contingente. Isso é necessário.
3. Ei presto, nós demonstramos que existe um ser necessariamente existente, não criado e não contingente que causa todas as outras coisas! E isso, é claro, é Deus.

Esta primeira causa / ser necessária é, por definição, Deus. Simplificando, quem começou tudo (o tempo, espaço, criação da matéria) é o único Deus verdadeiro. O Deus da Bíblia não pode ser comparado ao panteão de deuses das religiões politeístas. É como comparar maçãs com bananas. Uma outra consequência desse argumento é que, se todas as agências causais de nosso universo forem removidas, absolutamente nada permanecerá. Uma tentativa é substituir uma causa do universo, afirmando que o universo eventualmente existiu sem começo, eternamente.

A objeção científica a isso é a 2ª lei da termodinâmica ou a lei da entropia. Em um universo fechado, a quantidade finita de energia está diminuindo, avançando para um momento em que toda a energia será gasta. O universo com sua quantidade limitada de energia vai se esticar até onde não há mais energia.

A razão filosófica é que nunca podemos chegar a um período infinito de tempo no futuro adicionando eventos individuais. Mas hoje, este ponto do tempo no presente é um ponto do tempo futuro para todo o passado. Somos o futuro do ontem e do dia anterior. Não é possível que o Universo tenha existido desde sempre. Este momento é o futuro com referência a todo o passado. Você não pode dizer que qualquer ponto específico no futuro alcançará um infinito real à medida que os eventos são adicionados uns aos outros. Portanto, este momento presente no tempo não pode representar um número infinito real de eventos adicionados uns aos outros procedentes do passado. O tempo passou do passado à medida que um evento é adicionado a outro para nos levar ao hoje. Mas sabemos que sempre que você pausa na contagem, como fizemos hoje, não pode haver um número infinito de eventos. O que significa que não há um número infinito de eventos que retrocedem a partir deste ponto no tempo. Apenas um número finito de eventos. O que significa que o universo não é eterno, mas teve um começo. Já que tudo que começa a existir tem uma causa, o Universo teve uma causa. Apenas o Deus da Bíblia é descrito com as seguintes características:

Existe fora de Sua criação, criou o universo físico, é eterno, autoexistente, existe fora do tempo e do espaço, é Onipresente - ele criou o espaço e não é limitado por ele, é atemporal e imutável - ele criou o tempo, imaterial - porque Ele transcende o espaço, consciente, inteligente e pessoal - o impessoal não pode criar personalidade, necessário - como tudo o mais depende Dele, infinito e singular - como você não pode ter dois infinitos, proposital - como Ele deliberadamente criou tudo, moral - não a lei moral pode existir sem um legislador, atencioso - ou nenhuma lei moral teria sido dada.

https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum