ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview

Otangelo Grasso: This is my library, where I collect information and present arguments developed by myself that lead, in my view, to the Christian faith, creationism, and Intelligent Design as the best explanation for the origin of the physical world.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sermon on the mount - explained

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sermon on the mount - explained Empty Sermon on the mount - explained Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:10 am

Otangelo

Admin

Sermon on the mount - explained

https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com/t3285-sermon-of-the-mount-explained

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  With that,  I am not referring to those who lack intelligence. Rather, I am referring to those who are humble in their spirit and recognize their need for God. You see, the kingdom of heaven is not something that can be earned or achieved through wealth or status. It is a gift that is freely given to those who have faith and trust in me. The poor in spirit are those who understand this and come to me with a humble and contrite heart, recognizing their need for the fathers mercy and grace. In contrast, those who are filled with pride and self-sufficiency, believing that they have no need for God, will not inherit the kingdom of heaven. They are like the rich young ruler who came to me asking what he must do to inherit eternal life. When I told him to sell all he had and give it to the poor, he was unwilling to do so because he loved his wealth more than he loved God. So my dear friend, do not be deceived by the world's values and beliefs. Strive, recognizing your need for God and trusting me for your salvation. For truly, the kingdom of heaven belongs to those who humble themselves before the father in heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.  I am referring to those who grieve and mourn over the brokenness and sin in this world. There is much sorrow and pain in this life, and it is easy to become overwhelmed by the suffering that we see around us. Whether it is the loss of a loved one, the pain of injustice, or the brokenness of our own hearts, we can all experience grief and mourning in this world. But I want to encourage you, that even in the midst of your pain and sorrow, there is hope. You see, when you mourn over the brokenness of this world, you are aligning your heart with the heart of the father. God is a God of compassion and love, and He mourns with you over the pain and suffering that you experience. And not only does God mourn with us, but He also offers us comfort and hope. The comfort that God offers is not just a temporary relief from our pain, but it is a deep and abiding peace that comes from knowing that God is with you in your suffering. As you mourn, do not lose hope. Remember that God is with you, and He will comfort you in your time of need. Take comfort in the promise that one day, all things will be made new, and every tear will be wiped away. For truly, those who mourn will be comforted, both in this life and in the life to come.

Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. I am not referring to those who are weak or timid. Rather, I am speaking of those who are humble and gentle in spirit, who do not seek power or control over others.
You see, the world often values those who are strong and assertive, who are willing to step on others to get ahead. But in my kingdom, things are different. In my kingdom, the meek are blessed, for they will inherit the earth.
The meek are those who are not focused on themselves, but rather on serving others. They are gentle and kind, treating others with respect and dignity. They do not seek their own glory, but rather the glory of God and the good of others. And it is these qualities that make the meek inheritors of the earth. When we live with humility and gentleness, we create a world that is characterized by peace and harmony. We are able to work together to build a society that is just and equitable, where all are valued and respected. So my dear friend, do not be deceived by the world's values. Do not strive for power and control, but rather seek to live a life of humility and service. For in doing so, you will be blessed, and you will inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.  I am speaking of those who have a deep desire for justice and righteousness in this world.
There is much injustice in this world, and it is easy to become discouraged by the brokenness and sin that we see around us. But those who hunger and thirst for righteousness are those who refuse to give up hope. 

They are those who long for a world where all are treated with dignity and respect, where there is no more poverty or oppression, and where love and justice reign supreme. And it is these very people who will be filled. For I promise you, my dear friends, that one day, I will create a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness will dwell. In this new world, there will be no more tears or pain or suffering, for all things will be made new. But until that day comes, I call on you to hunger and thirst for righteousness. I call on you to be a part of bringing about justice and righteousness in this world, to be a light in the darkness and a voice for the voiceless. For truly, those who hunger and thirst for righteousness will be filled, both in this life and in the life to come. So do not lose heart, my dear friends. Do not give up hope. Keep hungering and thirsting for righteousness, knowing that one day, your longing will be satisfied. For in the new heaven and new earth, righteousness will dwell, and all will be made right.

Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. To be pure in heart means to have a heart that is free from any impurity, malice, or ill will. It means having a heart that is filled with love, compassion, and kindness. Those who are pure in heart are blessed, for they are able to see God. I mean that those who are pure in hearts are able to feel the presence of God in their lives. It is only when our hearts are pure that we can truly experience the fullness of God's love and grace. When we are weighed down by anger, bitterness, and negativity, we cannot fully appreciate the beauty of God's creation or the blessings that He has bestowed upon us. Therefore, I urge you to strive for purity of heart. Cultivate love, compassion, and forgiveness in your heart, and let go of any negative emotions that may be holding you back. When you do so, you will find that your heart is filled with peace and joy, and you will be able to experience the presence of God in your life in a truly profound way.

You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
The Law and the Prophets are sacred texts that contain the word of God. They provide guidance on how to live a righteous life and how to serve God with all your heart, mind, and soul. I did not come to do away with these teachings, but rather to fulfill them.

You see, the Law and the Prophets point towards the coming of the Messiah, the one who would bring salvation to all who believe. I am that Messiah, and I have come to fulfill the Law and the Prophets. I have come to bring new life and new hope to all who believe in me. Therefore, let me make it clear that not even the smallest letter or the least stroke of a pen will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Those who set aside even the least of these commands and teach others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven. But those who practice and teach these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. You see, the Law and the Prophets are not meant to be burdensome or oppressive. Rather, they are meant to guide you on the path towards righteousness and salvation. They are a reflection of God's holy and just nature, and they are meant to be embraced with humility and reverence. So do not be deceived by those who would twist or distort the teachings of the Law and the Prophets. Instead, seek to understand them and apply them to your life with a pure heart and a sincere desire to serve God. In doing so, you will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, 'Raca,' is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell. You see, anger is a dangerous emotion that can lead to hurtful words and actions. When we allow ourselves to become consumed with anger towards another person, we risk causing them harm, whether it be physical or emotional. We also risk causing harm to ourselves, as anger can lead to bitterness, resentment, and a lack of inner peace. Furthermore, I tell you that even the words we speak can be harmful. Anyone who says to a brother or sister, 'Raca,' which is a derogatory term meaning "worthless" or "empty-headed," is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell. Words have power, my friend. They can lift up or tear down, heal or hurt. It is important that we use our words wisely and with love, rather than using them to attack or belittle others. So I urge you to examine your hearts and to seek forgiveness from those you have wronged. And if you have been wronged, I urge you to forgive, even if it is difficult. For in forgiving others, you free yourself from the burden of anger and resentment. Remember, that love and forgiveness are at the core of my teachings. They are what allow us to live in peace and harmony with one another. But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. Instead of seeking vengeance, I urge you to respond with love and forgiveness. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. This is not an act of submission or weakness, but rather a powerful statement of non-violent resistance. By turning the other cheek, you are showing that you will not be provoked into violence or retaliation. Furthermore, if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, I urge you to hand over your coat as well. This act of generosity and selflessness can help to diffuse conflict and promote understanding. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, I urge you to go with them two miles. This is a powerful act of kindness and compassion that can help to transform the hearts and minds of others. You see, love and non-violence are at the core of my teachings. They are what allow us to build bridges of understanding and to heal the wounds of hatred and division. I urge you to embrace these values and to live them out in your daily lives. By doing so, you can help to create a world where love and justice reign, and where all people are treated with dignity and respect.

You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?  I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. This is a difficult teaching, I know, but it is crucial for your spiritual growth and your ability to heal the brokenness in our world. When you love your enemies, you are following in the footsteps of your Father in heaven, who loves all, whether they are good or evil. He causes his sun to rise on both the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If we are to be children of our Father in heaven, we must also extend love to all, regardless of whether they are good or evil. For if we only love those who love us in return, what reward should you receive? Even the tax collectors and pagans do that! It is not enough to simply love those who are like us or who agree with us. You must also show love and compassion to those who are different from you, and even those who may actively oppose you. This is the path to true healing and reconciliation. So I urge you, love your enemies, pray for those who persecute you, and extend love and compassion to all. For in doing so, you will be fulfilling the highest calling of your faith and becoming true children of your Father in heaven."

Let me give an example of what it means to love your enemies.
Robert Rule is a Seattle native and part-time shopping mall Santa Claus around Christmastime. His 16-year-old daughter Linda was one of the numerous victims of serial killer and necrophile Gary Ridgway, also known as the Green River Killer. When Ridgway was apprehended in 2001, he confessed to over 70 murders of various women between the early 80s and late 90s. He was spared the death penalty for aiding law enforcement in finding the bodies of the deceased. When Ridgway was sentenced to 48 consecutive life terms in 2003, the parents and loved ones of the victims had the chance to speak directly to him in a courtroom. The majority of them expressed hatred, rage and pain. Some of them told Ridgway they hoped he would rot in hell, while others wished that he would endure the same fate as his victims. Ridgway showed no emotion or feeling as he received their words. When it was time for Bob Rule to step up and speak to the man who murdered his daughter, he said, “Mr. Ridgway, there are people here who hate you. I’m not one of them. You've made it difficult to live up to what I believe, and that is what God says to do, and that’s to forgive. You are forgiven, sir.” Upon hearing this, Ridgway broke down and wept. Most of us will never know the level of pain Bob Rule and the other parents and loved ones of Ridgway’s victims have endured. Rule had the chance to expose that pain to the very man who caused it. If he had ranted and screamed nothing but hatred and fury, no one would have blamed him. But when Rule was placed face-to-face with humanity at its worst, he showed the world humanity at its best.

Last edited by Otangelo on Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:04 pm; edited 6 times in total

https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum