ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview

Otangelo Grasso: This is my personal virtual library, where i collect information, which leads in my view to the Christian faith, creationism, and Intelligent Design as the best explanation of the origin of the physical Universe, life, biodiversity

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pressupositional apologetics

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pressupositional apologetics Empty Pressupositional apologetics Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:15 pm

Otangelo

Admin

John Bynum Van Tils apologetic is not question begging. That is a gross misunderstanding and misrepresentation.
Circularity becomes cogent in regards to the preconditions of intelligibility.
Example: Logic. Logic can only be justified by applying logic. It’s truth is a precondition for rational thought, intelligibility. Without it we could not reason.
The preconditions of intelligibility (logic, reason, uniformity in nature (induction) and morality) all must exist necessarily otherwise a rational worldview could not exist. This is circular but not arbitrary.
The only problem in a question begging argument is whether it is arbitrary.
And that is the crucial point. If you are making a circular argument which is arbitrary, then it is fallacious. But if your arguments is a justified circle, as in scripture proving scripture, or when God could swear by no higher authority than himself, in other words he authenticates his own authority by the very fact that he is the highest authority that could possibly exist, in those examples circular reasoning is cogent.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge per Proverbs 1:7 and that the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are hidden in Christ per Colossians 2:3. On the basis of my worldview, revelation from God is necessary to know anything, and thus the existence of God is provable by virtue of the impossibility of the contrary; in other words, the proof that God exists is that if He didn't, we couldn't prove anything.
Romans 1:18-21 says that everyone knows God exists so sufficiently that they're without excuse for denying Him.
My question for you is...
How do you presume to know anything on the basis of your atheistic worldview?

We don’t “present a case” to the unbeliever. You present cases to judges. The unbeliever is not Gods judge. That is the wrong way of viewing it. God is the judge. We use reason and logic to show the unbeliever that if their worldview were true then we could not use reason and logic. Only because Christianity is true is the world rational. They can only use reason and logic because of God and if God did not exist reason and logic would not exist. God is the very foundational basis for all things.
Examples: If evolution were true and we were just a byproduct of natural processes our brains would be no more than chemical fizz which cannot account for truth, logic, morality etc. If polytheism were true then which god gets to decide what the basis of truth is? Buddha and the other eastern mysticism religions do not even attempt to define truth. Judaism is incomplete Christianity. Islam is a perversion of Christianity In that it denies the deity of Christ yet says the Bible is scripture which says Christ is God. Islam both affirms and rejects the Bible at the same time which violates the law of non-contradiction.
Any worldview, I repeat ANY worldview except Christianity can be shown to be internally inconsistent by doing an internal worldview critique.
If the very basis of existence (whatever non-Christian worldview you choose) breaks down into absurd contradiction that would mean the world could not be rational.
But since the world IS rational Christianity must be true because it is the only view that can account for rationality.
Scripture says “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge” prov 1:7
“In him (Christ) are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.” Col 2:3
We can not justify reason, truth, morality or the uniformity in nature unless we start with God.

https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum