ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview

Otangelo Grasso: This is my personal virtual library, where i collect information, which leads in my view to the Christian faith, creationism, and Intelligent Design as the best explanation of the origin of the physical Universe, life, biodiversity

You are not connected. Please login or register

Time makes everything become possible. Really ?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Otangelo

Admin

Time makes everything become possible. Really?

https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com/t2025-time-makes-everything-become-possible-really

Time is not the atheist's friend. Time does not complexify molecules. It disintegrates them. Long periods of time do not make life inevitable; they only make randomization more complete.

Ilya Prigogine, Nobel Prize-winning chemist
The probability that at ordinary temperatures a macroscopic number of molecules is assembled to give rise to the highly ordered structures and to the coordinated functions characterizing living organisms is vanishingly small. The idea of spontaneous genesis of life in its present form is therefore highly improbable, even on the scale of the billions of years during which prebiotic evolution occurred

Paradoxes in the Origin of Life Steven A. Benner
https://sci-hub.tw/https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25608919

The Asphalt Paradox 
An enormous amount of empirical data have established, as a rule, that organic systems, given energy and left to themselves, devolve to give uselessly complex mixtures, “asphalts”. The theory that enumerates small molecule space, as well as Structure Theory in chemistry, can be construed to regard this devolution a necessary consequence of theory. Conversely, the literature reports (to our knowledge) exactly zero confirmed observations where “replication involving replicable imperfections” (RIRI) evolution emerged spontaneously from a devolving chemical system. Further, chemical theories, including the second law of thermodynamics, bonding theory that describes the “space” accessible to sets of atoms, and structure theory requiring that replication systems occupy only tiny fractions of that space, suggest that it is impossible for any non-living chemical system to escape devolution to enter into the Darwinian world of the “living”. Such statements of impossibility apply even to macromolecules not assumed to be necessary for RIRI evolution. Again richly supported by empirical observation, material escapes from known metabolic cycles that might be viewed as models for a “metabolism first” origin of life, making such cycles short-lived. Lipids that provide tidy compartments under the close supervision of a graduate student (supporting a protocell first model for origins) are quite non-robust with respect to small environmental perturbations, such as a change in the salt concentration, the introduction of organic solvents, or a change in temperature.

A. G. CAIRNS-SMITH Seven clues to the origin of life, page 58
Vast times and spaces do not make all that much difference to the level of competence that pure chance can simulate. Even to get 14 sixes in a row (with one dice following the rules of our game) you should put aside some tens of thousands of years. But for 7 sixes a few weeks should do, and for 3 sixes a few minutes. This is all an indication of the steepness of that cliff-face that we were thinking about: a three-step process may be easily attributable to chance while a similar thirty-step process is quite absurd.

Dr. Jason Lisle
The insurmountable obstacles to evolution are simply swept under the rug of vast ages.

This is a frequently raised, but unsophisticated argument for Darwinian evolution and the origin of life. You can't just vaguely appeal to vast and unending amounts of time (and other probabilistic resources) and assume that Darwinian evolution or whatever mechanisms you propose for the origin of life, can produce anything "no matter how complex." Rather, you have to demonstrate that sufficient probabilistic resources or evolutionary mechanisms indeed exist to produce the feature.

What is education" when it produces individuals who swear that evolution is true or that those who oppose it don't understand the process.

The so called evolutionary argument is more a matter of assaulting the intelligence of those who oppose it with a range assertions that proponents of evolution really have no answer, how these mechanisms really work. To argue that forever is long enough for the complexity of life to reveal itself is an untenable argument. The numbers are off any scale we can relate to as possible to explain what we see of life. Notwithstanding, you have beings in here who go as far to say it's all accounted for already, as if they know something nobody else does.

http://bevets.com/evolutionevidence.htm

A Parable:
Suppose a man walks up to you and says "I'm a billionaire."
You say "Prove it."
He says "ok", and he points across the street at a bank. "My money is in that bank there." (The bank is closed.)
You say "What does that prove?"
He says "Everyone knows banks have money in them"
You say "I know there is money in the bank, but why should I believe that it's YOUR money?"
"Because it's GREEN" he says.
"What else can you show me?"
He reaches in his pocket and pulls out a penny. "See -- I'm a billionaire."
You're still skeptical. 'What does that prove?', you ask.
"I'M A BILLIONAIRE" he states loudly (obviously annoyed that you would question him). He reaches in another pocket and pulls out another penny, "Do you believe me now?"

"Given so much time,
the "impossible" becomes possible,
The possible probable,
And the probable virtually certain,
One only has to wait:
Time itself performs the miracles."
(Wald, G., Scientific American, 1954)

1) http://www.evolutionnews.org/2012/01/peer-reviewed_p055221.html

Last edited by Otangelo on Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:24 am; edited 7 times in total

https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com

Otangelo

Admin

Time makes everything becoming possible. Really?

Dr. Jason Lisle
The insurmountable obstacles to evolution are simply swept under the rug of vast ages.

This is a frequently raised, but unsophisticated argument for Darwinian evolution and the origin of life. You can't just vaguely appeal to vast

and unending amounts of time (and other probabilistic resources) and assume that Darwinian evolution or whatever mechanisms you propose
for the origin of life, can produce anything "no matter how complex." Rather, you have to demonstrate that sufficient probabilistic
resources or evolutionary mechanisms indeed exist to produce the feature.

What is education" when it produces individuals who swear that evolution is true or that those who oppose it don't understand the process.

The so-called evolutionary argument is more a matter of assaulting the intelligence of those who oppose it with a range assertions that 

proponents of evolution really have no answer, how these mechanisms really work. To argue that forever is long enough for the complexity
of life to reveal itself is an untenable argument. The numbers are off any scale we can relate to as possible to explain what we see of life.
Notwithstanding, you have beings in here who go as far to say it's all accounted for already as if they know something nobody else does.

A Parable: 

Suppose a man walks up to you and says "I'm a billionaire."
You say "Prove it."
He says "ok", and he points across the street at a bank. "My money is in that bank there." (The bank is closed.) 
You say "What does that prove?" 
He says "Everyone knows banks have money in them"
You say "I know there is money in the bank, but why should I believe that it's YOUR money?"
"Because it's GREEN" he says. 
"What else can you show me?" 
He reaches in his pocket and pulls out a penny. "See -- I'm a billionaire."
You're still skeptical. 'What does that prove?', you ask. 
"I'M A BILLIONAIRE" he states loudly (obviously annoyed that you would question him). He reaches in another pocket and pulls out

another penny, "Do you believe me now?"

"Given so much time,
the "impossible" becomes possible, 
The possible probable, 
And the probable virtually certain, 
One only has to wait: 
Time itself performs the miracles." 
(Wald, G., Scientific American, 1954)

Otangelo

Admin

The Unraveling Spool of Naturalism: Why the "Time Fairy" Can't Wave Her Magic Wand

Abstract: Time is a wonderful thing. It allows cakes to bake, wine to age, and us to procrastinate until the last possible moment. But can time, in its vastness, really be the "magic ingredient" in the recipe for life? This tongue-in-cheek examination seeks to highlight the humorous fallacies of relying too heavily on time, akin to a toddler hoping his room will clean itself if he waits long enough. Spoiler: the room stays messy.

1. Introduction

Once upon a 'time' (pun intended), in the ever-expanding universe of academia, the esteemed folks of naturalism proposed that given enough time, anything is possible. Yes, literally anything! From the complex structures of DNA to the advanced systems in the human body, everything supposedly happened over vast amounts of time. It's kind of like expecting a monkey banging on a typewriter to eventually produce Shakespeare's works, if only we wait long enough.

2. The "Time Fairy" Myth

Let's discuss this mythical entity known as the "Time Fairy". According to popular naturalistic beliefs, she waves her wand (made up of centuries and millennia) and poof! Complex life forms emerge. But can time alone account for the complexity we see in life? Is the Time Fairy just sprinkling her 'evolutionary dust' and hoping for the best?

Let's put it this way: If you have a puzzle, and shake the box for eternity, would the pieces ever come together to form the complete picture? Or would you just end up with really worn-out puzzle pieces?

3. Billionaire Analogy: Pennies from Heaven

Revisiting our billionaire friend from earlier, if we take his logic, every time we find a penny on the street, we're on our way to becoming billionaires! We just need... well, quite a lot of time to find all those pennies. But remember, it's not enough to know the bank has money. You need to prove it's YOUR money. Likewise, knowing life exists doesn’t prove it spontaneously appeared given vast periods of time.

4. Complexity: More than Just a Waiting Game

Time might age cheese, but it doesn't turn milk into a cow. Natural processes, governed by the laws of physics and chemistry, move towards states of lower energy and greater disorder. Our everyday experiences reaffirm this; ice melts, buildings crumble, and cookies mysteriously disappear (or maybe that's just at my house). Simply put, structures tend towards chaos, not order.

5. The Literary Genius of a Chimpanzee

Imagine a chimp named Bob. Bob's given a typewriter and an infinite amount of time. Would Bob churn out Hamlet by chance? Maybe, if you believe in the Time Fairy. But there’s a good chance Bob would be more interested in dismantling the typewriter or using it as a fancy perch.

6. Conclusion

Time, like a good wine, can do many things. It can heal wounds, create masterpieces through erosion, and even turn a raw banana into a delightful banana bread. But to credit time with the ability to spontaneously generate the complexity of life is quite a stretch, a stretch even the Time Fairy's magic wand might find too much.

In the world of infinite possibilities, isn't it just simpler (and more scientifically sound) to consider the idea of an Intelligent Designer? Maybe, just maybe, there’s a greater force behind the beauty and intricacy of life, a craftsman of sorts, who didn’t leave things to chance or the benevolence of the Time Fairy.

After all, they say "good things come to those who wait," but perhaps the best things come from One who didn't need to.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum