ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview

Otangelo Grasso: This is my library, where I collect information and present arguments developed by myself that lead, in my view, to the Christian faith, creationism, and Intelligent Design as the best explanation for the origin of the physical world.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The water flea, Daphnia pulex is one of the most genetically complex organisms studied

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Otangelo

Admin

The water flea, Daphnia pulex is one of the most genetically complex organisms studied

(2011) The water flea, Daphnia pulex, a translucent microscopic crustacean, has been revealed as one of the most genetically complex organisms studied to date. This is the first time the genome of a crustacean has been fully sequenced, unveiling that it possesses around 31,000 genes, which is 25 percent more than those found in humans. Among all invertebrate genomes sequenced so far, the water flea's genetic makeup shows the highest similarity to humans, sparking interest among scientists who believe that understanding these shared genes could shed light on human responses to environmental hazards. What makes the water flea particularly fascinating is its ability to physically adapt to threats; it can grow protective features such as spines, helmets, or even neck-teeth in reaction to the presence of predators. Researchers involved in the genome project suggest that the water flea's extensive gene count is linked to its adaptive responses, as its gene expression can vary with environmental conditions. The creature is often likened to a canary in a coal mine for its sensitivity to pollution and other environmental changes.

With the water flea's genome decoded, showing a considerable genetic overlap with humans, scientists are poised to explore how environmental factors influence health and disease in humans. The water flea's genome is compact, consisting of approximately 200 million base pairs. Remarkably, over a third of its genes are unique to Daphnia and represent a significant contribution to biological science. Many of these unique genes are duplicates that respond dynamically to environmental pressures, according to findings published in the journal Science.

https://www.popsci.com/science/article/2011-02/water-flea-genome-most-complex-yet-and-may-help-scientists-study-organisms-response-stress/

The water flea, Daphnia pulex is one of the most genetically complex organisms studied Daphni10

https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum