ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview

Otangelo Grasso: This is my library, where I collect information and present arguments developed by myself that lead, in my view, to the Christian faith, creationism, and Intelligent Design as the best explanation for the origin of the physical world.

You are not connected. Please login or register

U.S. Presidents and candidates on Intelligent Design

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Otangelo

Admin

U.S. Presidents and Candidates on Intelligent Design

Exploring the historical context of U.S. presidents discussing creationism and intelligent design, here are a few examples, including older, historical mentions:

William Jennings Bryan: Although not a president, Bryan was a significant political figure and three-time Democratic presidential candidate, most famously known for his role in the Scopes Trial in 1925. Bryan was a staunch advocate for creationism and argued against the teaching of evolution in schools. His involvement in the trial and his speeches and writings reflected a favorable view of creationism. Bryan's position and the publicity of the Scopes Trial had a lasting impact on the discussion of creationism in the U.S. Bryan was a fervent advocate for creationism and staunchly opposed the teaching of evolution in schools, arguing that it contradicted biblical teachings. Here are some notable quotes by Bryan that reflect his views and the intensity of his advocacy during the Scopes Trial and beyond:

On creationism vs. evolution: "The Bible is the foundation of morality and legislation. We cannot teach ethics without religion. Darwinism contradicts the Bible every chapter; if we teach Darwinism, we shall sow atheism in our children's minds."

On science and religion: "Science is a magnificent force, but it is not a teacher of morals. It can perfect machinery, but it adds no moral restraints to protect society from the misuse of the machine."

During the Scopes Trial: "If we are going to do away with the Christian religion, godless evolution is the only alternative."

On the purpose of education: "Education can be dangerous. It is very difficult to make it not dangerous. It is almost impossible. The only safe education inculcates character."

On faith and facts: "The man who was afraid to experiment, afraid to let his faith guide his practice, was not really a believer in God."

These quotes illustrate Bryan's deep commitment to creationism and his concerns about the implications of teaching evolution. His role in the Scopes Trial and his broader public life reflect a period of intense debate in the U.S. over the intersection of science, religion, and education—a debate that, in many ways, continues to this day.

Ronald Reagan: In the 1980s, President Reagan expressed support for the teaching of creationism in schools alongside evolution, suggesting that there were "many unanswered questions" about evolution. He was quoted as saying, "Well, it is a theory. It is a scientific theory only, and it has in recent years been challenged in the world of science—that is, not believed in the scientific community to be as infallible as it once was" (The New York Times, 1981).

Ronald Reagan, during his presidency, made several comments that reflected his views on education, science, and the inclusion of creationism alongside evolution in school curriculums. While detailed records of his statements on this topic are somewhat limited, the essence of his position can be found in a few notable quotes:

During an August 1980 press conference, Reagan remarked, "I have no objection to the teaching of such theories [like creationism] in the public schools. It is a part of our Judeo-Christian heritage."

In a written response to a 1981 questionnaire from the Christian Herald, Reagan stated, "I endorse the idea of a pluralistic approach to the teaching of origins... Students should be allowed to decide for themselves what they believe about origins... I believe it is the right of students to discuss any doubts they have—on Creation-science or Evolution-science—in their classrooms."

Reagan also touched upon the broader debate between science and religion, emphasizing the value of diverse perspectives. In a 1982 speech, he said, "Science can explain the marvel of life but it can't explain who gave us the spirit and the feeling and the wonder that makes us different from any other species."

These quotes highlight Reagan's stance on the teaching of creationism in schools, indicating his support for a more inclusive approach that would allow students to explore various theories about the origins of life. His comments reflect a broader theme in his presidency of advocating for educational policies that respected religious perspectives and encouraged open discussion.

George W. Bush: In 2005, President Bush commented on the topic of intelligent design, stating that he believed both evolution and intelligent design should be taught in schools to enable students to understand different viewpoints. He mentioned, "Both sides ought to be properly taught... so people can understand what the debate is about" (The Washington Post, 2005).

During a roundtable interview with reporters from five Texas newspapers in August 2005, Bush said, "I think that part of education is to expose people to different schools of thought... You're asking me whether or not people ought to be exposed to different ideas, the answer is yes."

In the same discussion, elaborating on why he supported the inclusion of intelligent design alongside evolution in school curricula, he mentioned, "I felt like both sides ought to be properly taught... so people can understand what the debate is about. I think it's an interesting part of knowledge [to have] a debate about whether it's true, whether it's not true."

These comments reflect Bush's advocacy for educational environments where students are exposed to a variety of theories regarding the origins of life and the universe, allowing them to engage with different viewpoints and form their own conclusions.

https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum