ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview

Otangelo Grasso: This is my library, where I collect information and present arguments developed by myself that lead, in my view, to the Christian faith, creationism, and Intelligent Design as the best explanation for the origin of the physical world.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The laws of logic, where do they come from?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Otangelo

Admin

The laws of logic, where do they come from?

https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com/t3125-the-laws-of-logic-where-do-they-come-from

Logical absolutes exist.  Logical absolutes are conceptual by nature, and not dependent on space, time, physical properties.  They are not the product of the physical universe (space, time, matter) because if the physical universe ceases to exist, logical absolutes will still exist. Logic is a process of the mind.  Logic provides the framework for logical thought. A mind with the capability of logical thought cannot be the product of matter. A chemical state of the physical brain leads to another physical state of the physical brain but has never demonstrated to produce consciousness with the capability of rationality, rational thought, logic,  and laws of logic which are independent of physical things.   A chemical state of the physical brain leads to another physical state of the physical brain without requiring thoughts. So why would it produce consciousness, thoughts, and logic in the first place? The mind, and logical thought cannot be emergent properties of physical matter, and the brain. Therefore, it is warranted to posit that an eternal creator, conscious and having rational thoughts applying logic, is the source of humans with the same capabilities.

Logic is the process of proper inference.  It is the system of thinking properly – of arriving at proper conclusions. based on premises and application of the prinicples of deduction, induction, and critical thinking.  It is the process of proper thinking based upon principles that govern the validity of arguments.

The first law of logic is the Law of Identity.  It states that something is what it is and is not what it is not. For example, a rock is a rock and not a frog.
The second law of logic is the Law of Non-Contradiction.  This means that something cannot be both true and false at the same time and in the same way.  In other words, two contradictory statements cannot both be true.
The third law of logic is the Law of Excluded Middle, which says that a statement is either true or false.  “We are here” is a true statement.  “The planet Mars is in my pocket” is not a true statement. 1

The laws of logic and reason themselves are conceptual in nature. They can't exist apart from something capable of understanding concepts. However they are not subjective - left up to the individual observer to determine - rather they are more like laws of mathematics, which are also conceptual in nature.
However, we find these conceptual principals present and active in the universe as we encounter it - totally separate from our capacity to understand them. So they are not up to the subjective observer but instead rely on some metaphysical framework that natural science cannot fully account for.
I wouldn't say that the laws of reason "exist" as we do - for those are different levels of existence. However neither can we say they do not "exist", as they are independent of observation or even a physical phenomenon?
Consciousness itself shares in and overlaps these same principles.
I do not say that disembodied existence is totally necessary for what I am suggesting - although if our only reference of "existence" is this 3d physical coil - then I can understand why that might be the assumption.
The Bible teaches that we are more than our bodies - that our beings are made up of 3 essential components:

1. The Spirit: this is the essence and core of consciousness and existence. On the spirit level, we are connected to God's Spirit which is our ontological origin and is the basis for our individuality.

2. The Soul: the soul is the point of contact between the spirit and the physical body. It is what we might refer to as the mind or the psyche, and is intimately connected with our physical brains to carry out the functions of spirit in the physical world.

3. The physical body - for interacting with the physical world.

However not all 3 are necessary for existence. The only ontologically necessary part of our being is the Spirit which exists apart from our physical manifestations. This spirit has a "body" but it exists in a different mode than our biological vessels. I would describe it as if we were 4th-dimensional beings interacting with tools and programs to experience the 3d world - much as we play a gaming console to simulate a 2d world.

Our spirits exist in a different direction (shall we call it "out") which we cannot perceive with our physical senses. We can perceive it conceptually and see the effects of a non-physical phenomenon affecting the natural universe. When we die, our existence as 3-dimensional beings changes back into spirit.

The idea is not some ghostly disembodied existence. That is a crude estimation of what we believe. Rather I would say that our true "body" is not physical.

That there are proven concepts and realities that exist apart from observable phenomenon should serve as an adequate example of the metaphysical reality that transcends the physical world of observable phenomenon. That our consciousness shares in and experiences these metaphysical realities just shows the incongruity and willful ignorance of materialism. There was a discussion recently about the laws of mathematics and the incompleteness theorem, which I strongly recommend that you read.

1. https://carm.org/about-philosophy/what-is-logic/

https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum