ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ElShamah - Reason & Science: Defending ID and the Christian Worldview

Otangelo Grasso: This is my library, where I collect information and present arguments developed by myself that lead, in my view, to the Christian faith, creationism, and Intelligent Design as the best explanation for the origin of the physical world.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Quantum mechanics in biological systems (II): Gecko´s adhesion

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Otangelo

Admin

Quantum mechanics in biological systems (II): Gecko´s adhesion

The gecko, a climber´s hero, a lizard able to get a grip even face down on the smoothest ceiling or on the most vertical slippery surfaces. That, the adherence is one of the most striking features in most of the species in the family Gekkonidae. In Spain they are also known as “lagartijas” or “salamanquesas”. They are a good example beyond the trivial quantum effects, showing here quantum mechanics directly playing in the biological realm. Hence, entering the game of natural selection and evolution. The Gecko´s adhesion and the mechanism of their fascinating ability to hold its own weight with just a toe, like nailed to the most polished glass, has been matter of discussion during centuries. Many were the hypothesis for the amazing adherence system of this climber: suction, electrostatic attraction, micro-interlocking, and sticky secretions. Only two non excluding mechanisms are supported by evidence nowadays: capillary adhesion and intermolecular van der Waals attraction 1 Being at least the last one a direct quantum effect essential to get working such particular biological system.

https://reasonandscience.catsboard.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum